domingo, 27 de março de 2011

Crimes in Latin America: corruption, homicides, blood spill, and lack of interest

Well, I've been posting some ideas in this blog talking about violence in my home country, Brazil. Since nobody seems to care I decided to post this in English so out there in the world someone might see it and help this and other countries to change for better. I also decided to post it in English because when searching the Internet for information about crimes in the region I haven't found much.

First I would like to say that I've never was a person interested in crimes until a colleague of mine who spent most of his life studying and trying to get a better job was murdered in one of the richest neighborhoods in Sao Paulo, Brazil. I'm also studying and this year in Brazil I've seen other 5 students who were murdered in the same region. The worst of it all is that since we have more than 1 million cameras in the city most of these crimes were filmed and what pisses me off is that in all the cases the victims didn't show any reactions and gave to thieves what they asked.

In Brazil 50.000 people die each year victims of murder. There are 8 million illegal weapons in the streets. I've sent emails to politicians, newspapers, TV, etc asking for what was going on, the actions that were being taken. I've even found an article where in 1996 the ex-chief of police in New York was working close together with the government of Venezuela to make things better there while nothing has been done in Brazil. Looking for laws in the pipeline I've seen very timid reactions to the things that happen in the country.

I perfectly understand that prisoners need their rights, people have the right to defend themselves, better education is needed and blah blah blah but how da heck can someone be shot in 2011 for nothing? I feel so ashamed of belonging to a country that sees this for years and does nothing to change. It seems that I'm in a lottery draw and that next time I'm gonna be the next. It's not only about me but all the others..... in the last 10 years 500.000 have died victims of murder, and other 500.000 are in jail. I don't get how less than 1% of the population can bring so much disgrace to a country and nothing changes.

I don't know what to do anymore. I do something that I like, I really wouldn't like to become a politician to fix this since there are so many politicians already. I understand some people want to get money in illegal ways and that not everybody had the same opportunities in life... but why da heck they have to kill people that have nothing to do with their plans and destroy their families.... in 30 years nothing have changed: they rob you, kill you, go to the prison and back to the streets... when I'm gonna be proud of my country as a place where we can all live a decent life?

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário